Monday, December 13, 2010

December 13 - Audition Part 1

Welcome

I was trying to think about what to talk about today and I figure I should just talk about whats rumbling around in my head. Tomorrow I have part 1 of a fairly large and important 2-part audition. Its for a company I would like to work for quite a bit. If I bomb the audition it wont be the end of the world at all, and if I do well, then I will be quite happy. It appears that I have a 1 in 5 chance. So we shall see. I wont tell you yet what its for, but I will tell you after when I find out how it went. You can share in my joy or my sadness. I have a hope that its one over the other

I have a real problem with nerves. Im a fairly logical and sensible person and it seems strange that I would fret about something as silly as an audition. I can be honest with myself and say relax, prepare, and do your best, and if it happens then maybe it was meant to be, and if it doesnt then its not the end of the world. The smaller and louder irrational side of me says SHUT UP! IF YOU GET IT YOU ROCK. IF YOU DONT GET IT YOU SUCK! Those tend to fight a battle over my mind when something like this comes up. I spend half my time blissfully calm and easy going and the other half with stomach churning cramps and a lack of sleep. Good fun. Right now? Relaxed. Tomorrow? We shall see.

Tonight I went to the movies to see The King's Speech. I really enjoyed the film. It was well directed and well shot. I thought it was a bit long, but for the most part watching Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush volley scenes back and forth was very enjoyable. I enjoy period pieces. Im also a big fan of biographical pieces. Anything actually. Books or film. I like biographies. When I was young and we got the extra cable package my mom told me that if I wanted to watch the kids channels and cartoons and such I would also need to watch something informative. My choice was A&E. A little history and a little biography... this of course is the A&E LONG before the world of DOG: The Bounty Hunter.

There is a person in my life that I dislike. He is rude to me and abrasive. Normally I can avoid him but there are times when he just gets in the way. I cant be too detailed as some folks might read this and I could look bad. But this guy is an asshole to everybody! How is that even possible? How can you be a dick to EVERYBODY? He is an actor. He is a stocky chubby short man and when he recently came back from an audition I asked him how it went. And he said proudly "I danced" and I said.. I suppose with shock... You dance? To which he replied YEA! THATS HOW I HAVE MADE MY CAREER! Listen to me folks. When people ask me what I do for a living? I say I sell tickets. When I worked for Zellers I said I sell appliances. Am I an actor? I suppose. Is it my Career? No. Would I like it to be? Sure. A career is something that you dedicate your life and time to and it affords you a living wage. If you have a career and a 9-5 Monday to Friday job that has nothing to do with that? Re evaluate! Look at it again! The day I pay my rent, my bills, and raise a family on what I make performing I will happily say that I am an actor and that is my career? Until then I will say I am a nobody who works a day job and sometimes tries to be funny.

Today it was -15 in Toronto, not including the wind chill. In Fahrenheit thats 5 degrees for my friends in the United States... and... Whoever else still uses Fahrenheit... I dunno... OH! and Belize! Every time the wind blew up it felt like somebody was throwing ice water in my face. It was so cold that even the panhandles werent out. You know its cold if even the homeless and jobless dont come out! You know when it gets cold and your nose starts to run? Yea.. this was to cold for that to happen. Its a cold day when the snot in your nose says FUCK THAT! I AM NOT GOING OUT THERE IN THIS WEATHER!!

As some of you may know I am a big fan of the old Hollywood. I love the rat pack and the world of the MGM musicals. I love old jingles and I like to watch old TV shows as well. I own all of the Martin and Lewis Colgate Comedy Hour specials and I just love them. I love the show Whats My Line when a panel of 4 blindfolded stars has to figure out who the famous guest is. Its such a different world because normally they can narrow it down by asking if they have a picture coming out in New York. Now a days there are dozens of films that come out every Month in New York. Its neat to see how the world changes.

Well I have to work at 9am at my CAREER JOB and then Big Audition Part One. Wish me luck readers! And thanks for reading!

Mike

1 comment:

  1. I share many of your thoughts on these topics, but I must disagree about "being an actor" and career. Anyone with the guts to perform IS an actor, a comic or dancer, etc.

    As for "career," I've always defined that as "the job or type of work you love to do the most" rather than what may be paying the bills at this moment. I have several careers going, and so do you. :)

    ReplyDelete